[Ksummit-discuss] [MAINTAINERS SUMMIT] Bug-introducing patches

Eduardo Valentin edubezval at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 15:41:15 UTC 2018

On Tue, Sep 11, 2018 at 11:20:01PM +0000, Sasha Levin via Ksummit-discuss wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 11, 2018 at 07:11:48PM -0400, James Bottomley wrote:
> >On Tue, 2018-09-11 at 23:04 +0000, Sasha Levin via Ksummit-discuss
> >wrote:

> >> The problem with that approach is that it will break build more
> >> often, and if build is broken then usually no automated testing are
> >> getting done for that day.
> >
> >You're making the wrong assumption: most bugs aren't build breaks.  We
> >do occasionally have them, usually because of an obscure config
> >interaction issue, but it's a tiny percentage, so the impact to the
> >entire tree usually isn't great.
>
> Right, most bugs aren't build/boot bugs, but between all various
> subsystems there's always the one that snuck through. It only takes one
> to kill build.

Right, I agree build/boot bugs are not necessarily the more complex
issues.  But one single boot problem in linux next has a huge impact on
everyone that cares about testing it, and catching it to sooner the
better, no?

Also one maintainer may consider a config combination as an obscure one,
but not every may think that way. Having bots build/boot testing
branches on multiple configs is a thing that actually helps, specially
if done before pushing to -next. Then again, I am not saying that we
should push the responsibility of maintainers to bots to test stuff, but
improving the test coverage is always welcome, IMO.

> >However, think of this like release early, release often.  If we think
> >a branch is ready but there's a lurking bug, even a build related one,
> >it's better we find out sooner than later, so it's still better we
> >expose it ASAP to the full test machinery.  If it's one the local
> >criteria should have caught, I'm sure there'll be a huge line up of
> >people wanting to complain (which is why we try to make sure any
> >lurking bugs aren't build related).

I agree. Looks like everyone wants to improve the testing coverage, the
disagreement seams to be on when and how.

> Right, I'm not saying delay it, I'm just saying that you should feed it
> to the bots *while* you run your testsuites, even if to just get build
> coverage.

I agree with this proposal, specially if the idea is to get more people
to use a stabilized -next.

However, I also tend to agree that other nasty bugs will be found only
when changes hit a release or -rc kernel, or when they hit a stable
release. Specially when those gets released by distros. Obviously, this
should not prevent us to try to improve the process, specially wrt
testing.