[Ksummit-discuss] [MAINTAINER SUMMIT] community management/subsystem governance

Linus Walleij linus.walleij at linaro.org
Wed Sep 12 21:21:12 UTC 2018

On Wed, Sep 12, 2018 at 8:23 PM Alexandre Belloni
<alexandre.belloni at bootlin.com> wrote:
> [Me]
> > I am worried that the intersection of the sets of people that
> > naturally have the desired personality traits and also are
> > reasonably good engineers is actually pretty small and that is
> > why we have a problem.
>
> But is there really a problem to begin with? This is what Daniel wants
> everybody to believe. He didn't scale in his own subsystem and basically
> gave up reviewing drivers and this seems to be working fine for DRM.

To me the problem is recruiting active maintainers, and not the formal
title and the entry in MAINTAINERS, but one that actually feels
responsibility for the code. Some have appeared in the past, they
make some really nice contributions and then move on.

But it is a bit like solar flares, I just don't know when they will turn
up next and what makes them passionate and stay or when they
leave.

The upside (IMO) of DRMs model is that more people feel resonsible
for the code. The downside is the risk that no-one does, and everyone
just thinks someone else will do stuff. They seem to land on the plus
so far.

Yours,
Linus Walleij