[Ksummit-discuss] [MAINTAINERS SUMMIT] Bug-introducing patches

Laurent Pinchart laurent.pinchart at ideasonboard.com
Wed Sep 12 23:16:42 UTC 2018

Hi Alex,

On Wednesday, 12 September 2018 16:10:01 EEST Alexandre Belloni wrote:
> On 12/09/2018 15:53:59+0300, Laurent Pinchart wrote:

> >> Come on. Do you really expect me to wait for review when I fix up the
> >> internal testing/ 0-day fallout which is often enough something trivial?
> >> Do you really expect me to wait for review when I worked with a bug
> >> reporter to decode something and have a 100% explanation that it fixes
> >> the root cause and not the symptom?
> >>
> >> 1) Our review capacity is small enough already, so we don't have to
> >>    throw more stuff out for review.
> >>
> >> 2) With that modus, bugs will stay unfixed way longer and merging of
> >>    code will even be more delayed.
> >
> > I don't expect to wait for review forever, but I expect maintainers to
> > give an opportunity to reviewers to review patches. We obviously need to
> > consider the balance between review opportunity and problems (such as
> > build breakages) that could affect hundreds of developers if left unfixed
> > even for a few days.
> >
> > Too often I've noticed changes to code I maintain that introduced bugs or
> > other issues, performed by a maintainer who didn't even bother to post the
> > patch before pushing to to his -next branch, who didn't CC me (I could
> > take part of the blame for not reading mailing lists with enough
> > attention, but the volume is very high), or, possibly worse, who sent a
> > patch out, received my review on the same day, and completely ignored it.
> > The last issue is very demotivating for reviewers. Those changes were not
> > at all urgent, some of them were "cleanups", or replacement of a
> > deprecated API by a new one. That's very different than fixing a build
> > breakage in -next which clearly can't wait.
> >
> >> If I don't have special rights as a maintainer and you don't trust me
> >> that I use my common sense when I'm using these special rights, then you
> >> degraded me to a patch juggling monkey. On the day this happens, I'll
> >> step down.
> >
> > Maintainers are much more than patch juggling monkeys, otherwise they
> > could be replaced by machines. I believe that maintainers are given the
> > huge responsibility of taking care of their community. Fostering a
> > productive work environment, attracting (and keeping) talented developers
> > and reviewers is a huge and honourable task, and gets my full respect. On
> > top of that, if a maintainer has great technical skills, it's even
> > better, and I've learnt a lot from talented maintainers over the time. I
> > however believe that technical skills are not an excuse for not leading
> > by example and showing what the good practices are by applying them.
> >
> > (This goes without saying, but even better when said explicitly, there's
> > not judgment about your or any particular maintainer's technical or
> > non-technical skills here)

> >> If we enforce that, then a large part of reviewed-by and acked-by tags
> >> will just come from coworkers or other affiliates and have no value at
> >> all.
> >
> > That's a concern I share, and one of the reasons why I have my doubts
> [...]

I'm not sure we can put more trust on public review when the reply only
contains a Reviewed-by without any other comment, just because the review is
public. In the end it's a matter of trusting the reviewer. I'll try that you
have carefully reviewed an RTC patch carrying your R-b tag when it gets posted
by another bootlin developer, because I trust you. I won't have much trust in
a R-b coming in an otherwise empty e-mail from someone who has never sent or
reviewed any patch and who has no history of open source contributions, even
if that review e-mail is public and done by a non-coworker/affiliate.

I don't think we disagree fundamentally here, R-b carries a value when the
reviewer has done enough work to gain trust from the community, regardless of
whether reviews are first done in private or don't contain any other
information than the R-b tag.

--
Regards,

Laurent Pinchart