[Ksummit-discuss] [TECH TOPIC] A Safety-critical Linux system architecture

Greg KH gregkh at linuxfoundation.org
Thu Sep 13 09:50:51 UTC 2018

On Thu, Sep 13, 2018 at 03:13:11AM +0000, Tiejun Chen wrote:
> On the other hand, even without something as you said, "understand a
> set of use cases, determine safety requirements, and then complete the
> methods and procedures". Yes, I tend to agree that we need to make
> these stuff clear very well, but this doesn't mean we shouldn't talk
> about Linux itself now. Because we already have fundamental issues
> right there like,
> 1. Real time issue: we need to get Linux being RTOS to meet
> safety-critical requirements.

So listing what is "lacking" from the existing -rt patchset would be
great, I'm sure those developers would want to know this.

Combined with some resources to help get the remaining -rt patches
merged upstream would also be great.

> 2. Partitioning {software, hardware}resources: we need to have strong
> barrier to providing such an evidence that one program can't interact
> with another in any ways including shared memory, interrupts, etc.

What is preventing you from adding this to Linux now?

> 3. How to "remove" or disable any unnecessary or unused codes in
> safety-critical environment.

If unused code is unused, why is it an issue?

And how do you describe "unnecessary"?  Who determines this?

> 4. documentations to safety and security in Linux.

What type of documentation is lacking?

These are all very generic questions/topics, why not propose a talk for
the KS track at Plumbers for it?  Or many talks as these really are a
lot of different, individual things.

thanks,

greg k-h