[Ksummit-discuss] [MAINTAINER SUMMIT] community management/subsystem governance

Darren Hart dvhart at infradead.org
Thu Sep 13 17:08:12 UTC 2018

On Thu, Sep 13, 2018 at 01:41:26PM +0200, Daniel Vetter wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 13, 2018 at 1:27 PM, Mark Brown <broonie at kernel.org> wrote:

> >> Hm, the gen-config scrips looks like a really neat idea. Atm we
> >> manually maintain some configs for all the drm drivers, but this is
> >> much better I think. Next step up would be to double-check that make
> >
> > Yes, I've got a script like that as well (mine's a *tiny* bit less
> > sophisticated) - it's super handy if you frequently add new drivers.
> >
> >> Bit of googling and fooling around says make CONFIG_FOO=y olddefconfig
> >> seems to do this, including enabling (all?) dependencies you need.
> >
> > That only works for dependencies that are selected, if there's a config
> > option that stops CONFIG_FOO being seen by the user (eg, having MFD_FOO
> > preventing SUBSYSTEM_FOO being enabled) then it'll just get silently
> > ignored.
>
> I guess I fumbled something with my testing, this does indeed not work
> like I hoped :-/

merge-config will tell you if the CONFIG_* you specified differs in the
resulting .config.

e.g.

$ ls arch/x86/configs/pd*
arch/x86/configs/pdx86-mods.config

$ make defconfig pdx86-mods.config
*** Default configuration is based on 'x86_64_defconfig'
#
# configuration written to .config
#
Using .config as base
Merging ./arch/x86/configs/pdx86-mods.config
Value of CONFIG_MELLANOX_PLATFORM is redefined by fragment ./arch/x86/configs/pdx86-mods.config:
Previous value: # CONFIG_MELLANOX_PLATFORM is not set
New value: CONFIG_MELLANOX_PLATFORM=y

Value of CONFIG_ACER_WIRELESS is redefined by fragment ./arch/x86/configs/pdx86-mods.config:
Previous value: # CONFIG_ACER_WIRELESS is not set
New value: CONFIG_ACER_WIRELESS=m

Darren Hart
VMware Open Source Technology Center