[Ksummit-discuss] [MAINTAINER SUMMIT] community management/subsystem governance

Laurent Pinchart laurent.pinchart at ideasonboard.com
Mon Sep 17 13:48:30 UTC 2018

On Monday, 17 September 2018 16:29:08 EEST Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 17, 2018 at 03:10:50PM +0200, Julia Lawall wrote:
> > > Btw, on a quick look, it seems that github has/had an email
> > >
> > > interface already:
> > > 	https://blog.github.com/2011-03-10-reply-to-comments-from-email/
> >
> > I only interact with issues posted to github via email (alpine
> > specifically).  The only problem is that people tend to omit context,
> > because they assume that you see the code or previous messages that they
> > see in the web interface, which you do not.
>
> The major problem with github is that as far as I can tell there is no
> way to interact with it without creating an account.

That's what bothers me as well. I'm not opposed to a subsystem replacing git
request-pull + email with git-push, provided that an e-mail gateway forwards
the pull request to the appropriate mailing lists. I'm also no opposed to a
subsystem offering git-push as an optional alternative to git-send-email to
submit patches, provided the above e-mail gateway. What I don't want is having
to create accounts and authenticate the git-push, as that would make drive-by
contributions more difficult. For the replacement of pull requests I could
live with having to submit my ssh public key (but not individually to all
subsystems), but for the alternative to patch submission by e-mail we would
need to support unauthenticated git-push.

--
Regards,

Laurent Pinchart