[Ksummit-discuss] [MAINTAINER SUMMIT] community management/subsystem governance

Mauro Carvalho Chehab mchehab+samsung at kernel.org
Mon Sep 17 13:58:05 UTC 2018

Em Mon, 17 Sep 2018 06:29:08 -0700
Christoph Hellwig <hch at infradead.org> escreveu:

> On Mon, Sep 17, 2018 at 03:10:50PM +0200, Julia Lawall wrote:
> > > Btw, on a quick look, it seems that github has/had an email
> > > interface already:
> > > 	https://blog.github.com/2011-03-10-reply-to-comments-from-email/
> >
> > I only interact with issues posted to github via email (alpine
> > specifically).  The only problem is that people tend to omit context,
> > because they assume that you see the code or previous messages that they
> > see in the web interface, which you do not.
>
> The major problem with github is that as far as I can tell there is no
> way to interact with it without creating an account.

Well, the same happens with moderated mailing lists. There are a
lot of them:
	$ git grep moderated MAINTAINERS|wc -l
	221

Except when it is something that I really want to be merged
(e. g. something that affects my own machines or I have a demand
from my employer), when a perfectly fine patch I sent is ignored
by such lists, I just ignore whatever e-mail I receive from their
mailman interface, and I assume that, if I don't receive any reply
from a human, either the maintainers of such subsystem(s) accepted
it or they just don't care enough. So, if it is patch affecting
media, I just apply after a reasonable reviewing time.

In the case of github-like interfaces, I would do the same: I
would copy the maintainer(s) and just ignore any "non-subscriber's
warning" kind of e-mail.

That's actually one difference in this case: while on moderated
ML you need to be added to each individual ML in order to send
e-mails, on a web-based interface, just one subscription is
enough for all projects hosted there, and there are a lot less
git hosting servers than email mailing lists. So, in the specific
case of github, I wouldn't have any issues, as I had to create
an account there due to other purposes. Yet, I don't have any
need right now to have an account on gitlab or Pagure. I very
likely wouldn't create an account there just to forward patches
to a random kernel subsystem/driver eventually hosted there.

Thanks,
Mauro