[Ksummit-discuss] [MAINTAINER SUMMIT] community management/subsystem governance

Daniel Vetter daniel.vetter at ffwll.ch
Tue Sep 18 08:00:24 UTC 2018

On Tue, Sep 18, 2018 at 1:04 AM, James Bottomley
<James.Bottomley at hansenpartnership.com> wrote:
> On September 17, 2018 4:39:48 PM MST, Dave Airlie <airlied at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> This is a valid point: whatever development process is used, drive-by
>>> contributors should be allowed to send e-mails without needing to
>>subscribe
>>> (neither to a moderated list nor to a web-UI). I don't care how the
>>> maintainer will handle such patches, provided that they will be
>>properly
>>> handled.
>>>
>>It really depends on what type of one-off contributor they are.
>>
>>Setting up git send-email isn't trivial for everyone, if you are a
>>gmail user and work for a company that doesn't embrace smtp so much,
>>then having a webui and https git access will be a lot easier for
>>one-off contributions.
>
> Agree with this but that's why I don't use git-send-email
>
>>Beware of thinking our setup with email is in any way simple for a
>>newcomer to setup properly.
>
> Right, but there are many other ways of doing this which still work with mailing lists.

Aside from bare diffs stuffed into plaintext mails directly (which I
is a lot harder to set up than git send-email for new people), what
else is there that works with mailing lists? I'd be great if we have
other options here, since it is a fairly annoying problem for us.
-Daniel
--
Daniel Vetter
Software Engineer, Intel Corporation