[Ksummit-discuss] [MAINTAINER SUMMIT] community management/subsystem governance

Konstantin Ryabitsev konstantin at linuxfoundation.org
Tue Sep 18 19:24:05 UTC 2018

On Tue, Sep 18, 2018 at 06:58:45PM +0000, Tim.Bird at sony.com wrote:
>This could help solve a lot of e-mail issues that contributors have,
>but also
>I'm very interested in step 5 - the testing aspect.  I would like to be involved in
>discussions of the design of that step, so we could plug lots of different tests
>in, at the request of various sub-system maintainers.  I maintain the Fuego
>test system, so I'd be interested in making available our test suites for that
>step.

I'm not sure this is going to be the right tool for test-suite
integration -- in fact, I'd argue that CI stuff should remain wholly
outside of its scope. The goal is to make it easier to send good,
acceptable patches (even if their content is no good). CI and any other
automated testing should happen after these patches have hit LKML (and
any other lists), if only because there is no One True Place That Does
CI, and things like 0daybot/syzbot/etc are already honed to work via the
mailing list.

That said, I'm open to be convinced otherwise if others want this to
happen *before* patches land on the mailing lists. If that is the case,
we will want to rope kernelci folks into this discussion.

>Please let me know if there's some opportunity to follow up with you on
>this
>( ie, a list where this might be discussed in more detail, or an event where we
>could talk face-to-face).

I'll be at the Kernel Summit in Vancouver, and I believe at least Kevin
of KernelCI fame will be there, too.

-K