[Ksummit-discuss] [MAINTAINER SUMMIT] community management/subsystem governance

Wed Sep 19 09:46:38 UTC 2018

On Tue, 2018-09-18 at 09:35 -0700, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 18, 2018 at 9:33 AM Luck, Tony <tony.luck at intel.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Sep 18, 2018 at 09:02:36AM -0700, Mark Brown wrote:
> > > At least with Outlook the problem is partly that Outlook's model
> > > of how
> > > e-mail works isn't really able to cope with what we need, it
> > > translates
> > > everything into internal formats in a way that is at best fragile
> > > for
> > > what we need.
> >
> > Or, shock, horror, tell one-time contributors that it is OK to
> > put the patch in an attachment to the e-mail.  Outlook doesn't
> > (usually) mess with the contents of attachments.
>
> And then have maintainer having hard time trying to comment on said
> patch in the attachment. I'd rather not.

We've long accepted attached patches from exchange people in SCSI
(usually we request them when the whitespace damage can't be fixed any
other way).  It's a pain to reply to because you have to cut and paste
from the attachment in the reply but it's not impossible and if it's
the only way to get the patch out of the corporation in the first
place, I think the pain is acceptable.

James