[Ksummit-discuss] [MAINTAINER TOPIC FOR KS] CoC and Linus position (perhaps undocumented/closed/limited/invite session)

Dave Airlie airlied at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 20:23:05 UTC 2018

On Thu, 20 Sep 2018 at 05:56, Mauro Carvalho Chehab
<mchehab+samsung at kernel.org> wrote:

> Em Wed, 19 Sep 2018 10:16:21 -0400
> James Bottomley <James.Bottomley at HansenPartnership.com> escreveu:
>
> > On Wed, 2018-09-19 at 09:03 -0300, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:

> > > In time:
> > >     and this *is* a legal document -> I believe that this is a
> > > legal document
> > >
> > > I'm actually waiting for a legal advice about this under US laws.
> > > Under Brazilian laws (and probably other civil law system), I'm
> > > almost sure it is a contract - if this is a valid or a void one has
> > > yet to be seen.
> >
> > OK, I can't disagree with this.  It does definitely impose obligations
> > that are legally meaningful.  However ...

A legal document would mean there were legal repercussions for
violating it, like violating copyright laws or getting fired for
violating your employment contract.

This doesn't seem to stand on that, this is a set of guidelines for
how a community should act. The people interpreting the document are
members of the community that we in theory trust (via TAB elections).
These are examples of things that cause problems, and guidelines to
follow to avoid bad behaviours, but the intent still matters at the
end of the day. If someone complains you accidentally tagged their
email, the people on the complaints review will figure that out.

It's funny we don't really have this problem with the drm so far, due
to mainly group maintainership. If someone sends me a private email
unless it's a security issue, I ask them to resend it to the public
lists and/or use a public bugzilla, before I action it. This ensures
that members of group teams can engage as a group instead of one
maintainer having the primary inbox load.

I've no objections to clarifying this sort of thing and I think it's
important that we do, but trying to turn this document into something
like an legal employment contract isn't going to be helpful.

Dave.