[Ksummit-discuss] [MAINTAINERS SUMMIT] Bug-introducing patches

Daniel Vetter daniel.vetter at ffwll.ch
Thu Sep 20 11:49:14 UTC 2018

On Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 1:08 PM, Laurent Pinchart
<laurent.pinchart at ideasonboard.com> wrote:
> On Thursday, 20 September 2018 14:00:47 EEST Daniel Vetter wrote:
>> >
>> > I believe Daniel has more information.
>>
>> I think 2 people left the drm/i915 team (and kernel development at
>> large) explicitly because of our archaic toolchain. A pile more left,
>> where the archaic toolchain at least motivated a switch in
>> teams/projects. No solid data yet on what happens when we'd enable
>> merge request, but some of the engineers (who never contributed to the
>> kernel before) I've chatted with are absolutely raving about the mere
>> possibility even if very small&distant.
>
> Have you asked them for precise points that bother them (up to the point they
> wouldn't contribute) in the existing process ?

Frankly, I was a bit much in denial that patches on mailing lists
might not be the most awesome thing ever. One of them spent
cocnsiderable time working on the fd.o patchwrok, in a in hindsight
futile attempt to fix things up. So I guess it's all the reasons
already discussed on why patchwork isn't really the promised land that
can make sense of the chaos on mailing lists.

>> This might be biased towards coporate teams, since I have no data on the
>> people who might join as volunteers or from random places - I only know this
>> because they all worked for Intel.
>
> Thank you for providing a bit of data.
>
>> Also, no data ofc about how many we might lose if we force a merge
>> request flow instead of patches scribbled on chalk boards :-)
>
> Is that the opposite of the patches through instagram workflow ? :-)

Ah, should have looked up the quote first. It's "patches carved into
stone tablets":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8OOzaqS37s
-Daniel
--