[Ksummit-discuss] [MAINTAINER SUMMIT] community management/subsystem governance

Olof Johansson olof at lixom.net
Fri Sep 21 17:16:40 UTC 2018

On Fri, Sep 21, 2018 at 6:08 PM, Mauro Carvalho Chehab
<mchehab at kernel.org> wrote:
> [...]
>> > this one ]

>> > I actually think that *this* could be easily handled by trivial
>> > tooling that doesn't have to be set up over and over again inside
>> > companies or teaching people.
>> >
>> > In fact, doesn't patchwork already do exactly that?
>> >
>> > I have to say, there are real technical advantages to using
>> > attachments for patches, particularly when you have odd combinations
>> > of locales. It's gotten to be less of an issue over time and we're
>> > still almost entirely US-ASCII with the occasional UTF-8, but we do
>> > still have the occasional problem. Using attachments at least detaches
>> > the email charset from the user locale, and from random other MUA
>> > issues.
>> >
>> > But yes, the "comment on individual parts of the patch" part is very
>> > important too.
>> >
>> > The main problem with having something that rewrites things is that it
>> > breaks DKIM etc, so you can't just have a pure email gateway. It
>> > almost needs to be something at a higher semantic level like patchwork
>> > (that could still send out rewritten emails).
>> >
>> > In many cases, you might want that anyway (ie wouldn't it be lovely
>> > when the patch is also checked for "does it build" and looks up the
>> > maintainers based on what paths it touches etc etc).
>> >
>> > So a sane email / web-interface kind of gateway that allows people to
>> > work the way they prefer.
>> >
>> > But I guess "trivial" is completely the wrong word to use.
>>
>> We're already starting to use some bots that sit on the mailing lists
>> and monitor incoming material.
>>
>> This could be solved with something as simple as a bot that takes the
>> patch-as-attachment, does a few useful things like runs checkpatch and
>> makes sure it applies cleanly (maybe report what trees it applies
>> cleanly to, such as current mainline and next), and then inlines the
>> whole patch. All as a reply-all to the sender + original recipients.
>>
>> That way, anyone looking to do an inline review can do it on the bot
>> version, and the originator will still receive the feedback, etc. It'd
>> also solve the DKIM-related aspects, if I'm not mistaken.
>>
>> People who get distracted by the bot emails can easily choose to filter it.
>
> Seems to work.
>
> Still, there are some issues with that. Depending on the email client,
> it may not recognize the patch as is, and use a wrong mime-type.
> If the mail server doesn't recognize the mime-type, or considers it
> evil, it may reject the e-mail, and the bot will get nothing.
> Not sure what's the current status of e-mailers and patches, but on
> my past experiences on another company (lots of years ago), usually
> webmail solutions are worse[1], and don't properly tag certain types
> of attachments.
>
> [1] I know places where only a corporate webmail solution is allowed
> by default, and using any other solution would require an special
> security approval. Not sure if is worth to consider such scenario,

All of these sound like solvable problems to me, by having the bot be
lenient about what it accepts. It might get a bit messy and might need
tuning over time, but that's fine.

> Another problem is that bots will receive the same e-mail twice
> (the original one and the inlined one). We may start having
> multiple kernel-test robots reply for such emails, with is not
> a good thing. So, if done this way, it is probably worth to add
> some meta-tags to avoid the new e-mail with the same patch
> to be parsed again by (other) robots.

With only a couple of active bots, making them filter each other would
be a trivial initial approach.

-Olof