[Ksummit-discuss] [TECH TOPIC] Security

Dan Carpenter dan.carpenter at oracle.com
Mon Sep 24 09:21:36 UTC 2018

On Sun, Sep 23, 2018 at 03:20:22PM +0200, Jiri Kosina wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Sep 2018, Dan Carpenter wrote:
>
> > Sort of related to this.  I think we should have a public email list to
> > discuss potential security problems.  We've actually talked about making
> > the security at kernel.org list public at some point when people started
> > flooding it with static checker warnings about potential SELinux missing
> > checks.
> >
> > The downsides are 1) Maintainers will be annoyed.  They don't want me or
> > anyone to forward them static checker output (they are polite about
> > this).  But they also want to be the first to know about real bugs found
> > by static analysis.  These are conflicting and impossible desires...  2)
> > Script kiddies will follow the list and learn about bugs earlier.  I
> > don't see this as a huge issue if we restricted it to driver specific
> > bugs.
>
> 3) there simply is a need for CRD process for the kernel (which pretty
>    much by definition is not happening publicly). Currently, security@
>    serves that purpose, so if you make that public, you have to
>    instantiate some other process to deal with CRDs.

I'm not saying we would eliminate security at kernel.org.  We would keep
that.  security at kernel.org also does not want to answer questions about
every "suspicious code" that people find.

For coordinated responses you need linux-distros. security at kernel.org
does not do it.

security at kernel.org is there for two reasons.  First we need a contact
to deal with security issues.  About half the time when people send us
security reports to security at kernel.org then we just forward it to the
appropriate maintainer.  Second, it's has a bunch of core developers for
serious bugs in ptrace or similar which affect everyone.  Those kinds of
fixes are risky and complicated.  But after a fix is found then distros
are expected to handle the release and getting the CVE etc.

regards,
dan carpenter