[Ksummit-discuss] [TECH-TOPIC] Review - Code of Conduct: Let's revamp it.

John W. Linville linville at tuxdriver.com
Mon Sep 24 18:11:39 UTC 2018

On Tue, Sep 25, 2018 at 03:51:14AM +1000, James Morris wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Sep 2018, Shuah Khan wrote:
>
> > This decision to change the existing "Code of Conflict" signed off by a large number of developers,
> > has been changed and committed with a few people signing off on it.
> >
> > It would be good to know the circumstances that necessitated the decision to include this patch
> > without the proper review process. if that isn't possible, it is important to follow the review
> > process now for v2. Also, discussing this in the Maintainer summit and/or kernel summit will not
> > make the community feel like it is a community approved decision. At least, kernel community should
> > be given a chance to discuss this change just like any other change.
>
> Not speaking on behalf of my employer, I agree with all of the above.

+1

Some number of folks feel (at least indirectly) chided or silenced by
the new Code of Conduct. Many of those folks have expressed themselves
ineloquently in a variety of venues. Much as one may disagree with
some of their expressed sentiments, those expressions of frustration
represent the feelings of some number of people in the real world.

It seems likely to me that these folks are at least as likely to
quit the community over their hurt feelings as have been the victims
of Linus or any other grumpy maintainers. If we really care about
maximizing the pool of contributors, we need to accomodate even those
that aren't particularly comfortable with 'playing nice'. Giving them
some say in establishing the rules seems extremely reasonable to me.

Just my $0.02...

John