[Lf_carrier] CGL and the Linux Foundation

Takashi Ikebe ikebe.takashi at lab.ntt.co.jp
Thu May 10 23:28:18 PDT 2007

Hello Mario, Dan and others.
> Q. Isn't the LSB just a "bottom-feeding" standard that describes what
> everyone has already agreed on?  Isn't it totally unsuited for CGL,
> which is defining new requirements?
>
> No, just because the LSB isn't required for all CGL work, doesn't mean
> that it can't be useful.  The LSB supports the concept of optional
> modules, where new functionality can be specified that is not yet "best
> practice" -- i.e., is not yet shipping in the major distros.  This is
> described in the LSB Charter <http://www.linux-
> foundation.org/en/LSB_Charter>.

I completely agree that.
Especially, some requirements that relates to performance need to define
reference hardware, CPU architecture, etc.
> - Some requirements will require external hardware (iSCSI, remote
>   boot) to verify compliance
>
> - Some requirements will require vendor support to validate -
>   for example test environmental sensors like fan speed or
>   temperature sensors or memory error inducing hardware. In
>   somce cases the tools may be as simple as a hair dryer or
>   pencil :)
>
> - There will still remain reqs that can only be verified
>   through inspection of the documentation supplied - for example
>   allot of these fall in the Cluster area.
>
> - Some requirements may need unique changes to firmware or other
>   platform layers.
>
> Lastly dropping features that are not accepted into mainline is not
> an option, huge chunk of the value a CG distro offers comes from
> such features. There are some product groups that run stock
> kernels and don't use distros, its hard to do in CG environments
> the feature set required is too complex.

I agree that.
Basically CGL is the Linux that applicable on carrier equipment. This
means the CGL is different from general purpose Linux.
Network equipment typically requires high availability, real time
capability (response time), serviceability than scalability and total
throughput.
I think general purpose computing prefer latter.
Therefore I think the acceptance of community is hard because of carrier
specific functionality. and that's why CGL exists.