[Lf_carrier] CGL and the Linux Foundation

mika.kukkonen at nsn.com mika.kukkonen at nsn.com
Mon May 14 20:43:18 PDT 2007

(...)
>I'm not sure if these are NTT specific, but TIPC was rejected by the
>kernel community for quite some time.  Other projects that have not
>gotten traction in the kernel community include live patching and boot
>image fallback.
>
>TIPC was critical for high availability IPC.  It is actually the
>backbone of a couple of clustering solutions as well.

Umm, John fails to explicitly mention here, that _TIPC_ now is in
the Linux kernel, and has been a while. So it is one of the few
successes actually.

>Live patching is a servicability/availability requirement makes it
>possible to patch a binary while the system is running.  This is
>important for online updates with zero downtime.

I do not think these will ever get mainlined to the kernel, as they
are so intrusive and of little value to the "normal" (PC) user. But
I have seen, that some distro vendors are pretty OK in maintaining
these in their trees, so I do not think this is so bad situation.

>Boot image fallback provides a way to quickly and gracefully back out
>changes.  There are a plethora of issues with this and coming up with a
>solution that is acceptable to all has been difficult.

Kexec() has been mainlined, what else you need? :-)

--MiKu