[Lf_desktop] OpenSUSE community

John Cherry cherrypits at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 15:08:36 PST 2007

robert_weir at us.ibm.com wrote:

> lf_desktop-bounces at lists.linux-foundation.org wrote on 11/28/2007
> 02:19:10 PM:
> >
> > Let's get the analysis going on the list.  Steven VN has written an
> > excellent preliminary analysis of some of the data from the survey,
> > coupled with info from a recent Forester study.  He also talked about
> > applications and device support.  While Steven talked about preferred
> > distributions, we need to be really careful about drawing
> conclusions in
> > this space because of survey biases.
> >

> Along with the overall data, it would be good to see what structure
> there is to the results, e.g., how preference vary with company size,
> etc. If someone can point me to the raw data (or a spreadsheet or CSV
> file or similar) I can take a look in R to see what the correlations are.
Rob, the raw data will be available on Saturday in a variety of
formats.  In the mean time, I dumped out the data in HTML format a
couple weeks ago which is complete with open text responses.  This
should have enough information to get you started on the analysis.
Check out...

http://devresources.linux-foundation.org/dev/dtl/survey2007/SurveySummary.html

John Walicki is planning to use the Visualization tools from IBM to
assist in analyzing the data.  I suggest you coordinate the effort with
John.

http://services.alphaworks.ibm.com/manyeyes/app
<http://services.alphaworks.ibm.com/manyeyes/app>

> -Rob (long time lurker, first time poster)

We don't think of you as a lurker!  How is the battle going on the ODF
front?

Cheers,
John