[Lightning-dev] Pure No-Trust Solution using only OP_CLTV

Rusty Russell rusty at rustcorp.com.au
Fri Aug 14 01:23:03 UTC 2015

Mats Jerratsch <matsjj at gmail.com> writes:
> Joseph asked, what changes OP_CLTV would bring to my Thunder proposal,
> and I started working out, how much is actually possible with only
> CLTV implemented.

Yes, you can always replace CSV with CLTV.  The downside is that if
something goes wrong with channel negotiation you need to wait for much
longer, and you need to reopen the channel fairly regularly (which has
its own problems, since you can't accept a HTLC which passes your CLTV
timeout, so you probably want overlapping channels).

I am really hoping that OP_CSV gets deployed in time to avoid such a
hack.  There's plenty of work in the mean time!

Cheers,
Rusty.