[Lightning-dev] Better privacy with SNARKs

Andrew Miller socrates1024 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 13:31:37 UTC 2015

Even though it seems like SNARKs aren't strictly necessary for this
application, it's awesome you tried that out!

So, there are a couple of things that seem off to me about those
performance estimates. I don't know snarklib/snarkfront well so I'm not
sure what would cause this.
But checking a single snark proof should take around 10 milliseconds rather
than 500 milliseconds. And it should only require like a kilobyte of memory
to verify, definitely not 150 MB.
Also when you say that the verification/proving key is 100MB, those are two
very different keys! The verification key should be extremely small, in the
kilobyte range.

When I have some time (hopefully later this week) I'll try to reproduce
this experiment using libsnark and write back in this thread. Some students
at UMD also have a tool for composing circuits that is (arguably) more
user-friendly and complements libsnark, I'm really hoping they release
those open source soon!