[Lightning-dev] Return to the Layered Commit Transactions?

Anthony Towns aj at erisian.com.au
Wed Nov 25 09:07:54 UTC 2015

On Wed, Nov 25, 2015 at 10:32:54AM +1030, Rusty Russell wrote:
>         For A if HTLC times out + revocation relative timeout, OR
> (Aside: can we reduce the HTLC timeout there so that it takes into account
> the relative timeout?  I'd have to think harder about all the other
> scripts, too, but it seems reasonable on the surface?).

Definitions:
 d -- the OP_CSV delay
 T -- top OP_CLTV timeout
 C -- the commitment tx is signed by B and given to A at time C
 P -- the commitment tx is published at time P
 S -- the commitment tx is spent at time S
 X -- the timeout at which a refund can be forced

Constraints enforced by bitcoin:

  P >= C
  S >= T
  S >= P+d

When A is paying the HTLC, and wants to claim a refund by unilaterally
closing the channel, We want to enforce S >= P+d and S >= X.

If C+d >= X, then P+d >= C+d >= X, and we can just use OP_CSV <d>.

If C+d < X, then if the commitment is published immediately, P+d < X,
and we still need OP_CSV <d> && OP_CLTV <T=X>.

However if the commitment gets updated while the HTLC remains open, C
will increase over time while d and X remain constant, so eventually the
OP_CLTV could be dropped. But I don't see how that does any good?

_But_ if you're updating a commitment and C+d >= X, then it seems like
your counterparty should already have given up on trying to redeem it,
not keep it open? If so, you're probably being cheated and should have
closed the channel already.

Alice forwards to Bob who forward to Carol creates two HTLCs:

  (Bob, x, R, T)
  (Carol, x-f, R, T-t)

What we want is to be able to say that "assuming Bob can close the HTLC
with Carol by T-t+k, Alice can close the channel by time T+k", I think...

 * At time T-t+k, Alice says "Bob, you haven't given me R. Do you give
   up?". If Bob has closed his channel with Carol and is cooperative,
   he reveals R (if Carol did) and is happy, or gives up and Alice times
   out the HTLC slightly early. (If Bob doesn't answer at this point,
   he's violating protocol, and we don't care if he loses money)

 * Otherwise, Alice declares Bob uncooperative, and closes the channel,
   with an output spending to:

      (Alice & OP_CLTV T & OP_CSV d) | (Bob & (R | Revoke_A))

 * This enters the blockchain at time T-t+k+x (where x is some delay due
   to the time it takes to find a block, and whether the fee Alice's
   commitment pays is competitive or not)

 * Alice can spend this HTLC at time max(T, T-t+k+x+d), which we'd like to
   no later than T. So T-t+k+x+d <= T, which just means d <= t-k-x
   If t >> d (ie, inter-hop-delta is much greater than revocation delay),
   that's satisfied.

 * Depending on the fee Alice pays etc, her transaction then gets
   n confirmations by time T+y, or else Bob manages a double spend,
   revealing R. If we chose k such that y <= k here, we're done: if Bob
   tried at doublespend, then at time T+k Alice knows R, or Alice is
   confident she got her refund.

 * Induction lets us note that Bob can apply the same argument and
   ensure that he complies with protocol, giving us the original
   assumption.

 * For concreteness, then, assuming you pay fees that get your block
   accepted withing the next F blocks or so, k=y=10*(n+F) minutes,
   x=10*F minutes, and t >= d+10*(n+2F).

   So normally your HTLC will expire at T-t+k = T-d-10*F and the channel
   will stay open; otherwise you'll close the channel and not know the
   answer for sure until T+k = T+10*(n+F).

   For n=4, F=4, t >= d+2 hours, so normal expiry is no later than
   T-d-40m, and uncooperative expiry is at T+1h20, so d+2h later.

> > (3)
> > As the absolute CLTV timeout has to increase with each hop, it can

(decrease with each hop; at least if you start counting at whoever's
paying)

> It's not about DoS, really.  The revocation time has to be long enough
> so you're certain to spot someone cheating.  And we've established that
> the HTLC inter-hop-delta should be >> revocation time.
>
> If your node is online and robust, 3 hours should be sufficient for
> revocation time (remember, you can jack up fees if you need to).

So if d=3h, then t>=5h above assuming 4 confirmations is enough to give
you confidence you won't be reorged and doublespent, and you pay enough
fees to get into one of the next 4 blocks.

> 12
> hours will give you plenty of time to take your claim transactions and
> inject them into the bitcoin network via carrier pidgeon or whatever you
> need to get around any DDoS.

d=3h and t=12h gives (n+2F)=54, so say n=24, F=15; meaning pay enough
fees to get in in the next 15 blocks, and accept spends after 24
confirmations.

> Still, let's assume everyone uses 1 day for revocation time, and 2 days
> for HTLC timeout delta, and we have 20 hops.
>
> The original HTLC (NODE 0 -> NODE 1) times out in 40 days.  The last
> HTLC (NODE 19 -> NODE 20) times out in 2 days, and that one falls to the
> blockchain.  NODE 19 takes 3 days to get a refund.

By my protocol above, node 19 would demand an answer from node 20
at time T-t+k, but T=2 days, and t=2 days, so that's just time 0+k.
d<=t-k-x, so k<=t-d-x; ie, k<=1 day - x, and x=10*F minutes. So node 19
demands an answer from node 20 after, say, k=21 hours (F=18 blocks). Node
20 doesn't reply, so 19 closes the channel and posts the commitment
to the blockchain, paying enough fee to be visible after 18 blocks,
which happens to be 3h later, ie 1 day total time.  After another day,
both OP_CLTV and OP_CSV pass, so node 19 tries spending it, with enough
fee to get in after 18 blocks, or 3h, so that's at about T=51h.

Meanwhile node 18 is wondering what's going on, and follows the same
protocol. At time T'-t+k demanding an answer from node 19. T'=4 days,
t=2 days, and k=21h, so T'-t+k = 69h. So node 19 has 18 hours to be
confident its refund transaction isn't going to be reorged, or to see an
attempt at a doublespend by node 20 revealing R. Either way, node 19 can
respond to node 18's request and keep the channel open. Node 18 can
pre-emptively pass on R or close 17's HTLC at that point and so on.

So by my count, node 19 has a refund within 2 days 21 hours.

> So, worst case is 3 days unless there are multiple hop failures?

A single hop failure at node 3 immediately after the transaction gets
passed on would be worse. Setup:

 node 1/node 2 = 38 days
 node 2/node 3 = 36 days
 node 3/node 4 = 34 days
 node 19/node 20 = 2 days

t+1 second:

 node 1/node 2 = 38 days
 node 2/node 3 = 36 days
 node 3/node 4 = 34 days
 [everyone else resolved]

Node 4 asks node 3 "wtf??". doesn't get an answer, closes the channel,
publishing the commitment to the blockchain.

After a day, node 4 can reclaim uncommitted funds, and reveal R to claim
the HTLC funds. node 3 is out of pocket.

Within the next 33 days, node 3 wakes up, sees R and finishes the
transaction. Node 2, in particular, has funds held up for the 34 days
node 3 was down.

> What do you think about reducing the OP_CHECKLOCKTIMEVERIFY argument if
> it's followed by the revocation delay?

The revocation delay happens simultaneously, so I don't think this can
be made to work usefully.

Don't think it's needed either though, so long as channels have parameters
"t" and "k" as well as "d" to drop to the blockchain well before T
actually comes around.

Cheers,
aj