[Lightning-dev] Committing to dust

Mats Jerratsch matsjj at gmail.com
Fri Nov 27 06:14:54 UTC 2015

Another way to deal with it is to add two HTLCs to the commit, basically

'I pay you 1.00000001 BTC and you pay me 1 BTC, so effectively I paid
you 1 satoshi'.

In reality we would of course use smaller 'transport-values'. Both of
these payments would pay to the same R value, so they would be atomic.
One issue with this is that it increases the fees by a lot, as the
locked up capital increases by quite a lot. It might also not
translate that well over many hops, when fees are different in each
direction. We might want to have some special protocol for these
payments?

By the way, as far as I know the dust value got increased to 5430? So
even more of a problem for us now... (wow, that's already 2ct, don't
think we can just disallow these, given that we promised the holy
grail of micro payments ;) )

I also don't think just adding these to the change amount is
sustainable. That's a thing I realized some time ago, as soon as there
is some loop hole somewhere, there will be one guy who will move
heaven and earth to make a profit off of it.

Cheers
Mats