[Lightning-dev] Committing to dust

Anthony Towns aj at erisian.com.au
Fri Nov 27 08:52:02 UTC 2015

On Fri, Nov 27, 2015 at 07:14:54AM +0100, Mats Jerratsch wrote:
> Another way to deal with it is to add two HTLCs to the commit, basically
> 'I pay you 1.00000001 BTC and you pay me 1 BTC, so effectively I paid
> you 1 satoshi'.

True! Doubles the cost of the HTLC if it gets published to the
blockchain though...

> One issue with this is that it increases the fees by a lot, as the
> locked up capital increases by quite a lot. It might also not
> translate that well over many hops, when fees are different in each
> direction.

I don't think number of hops matters; it only affects each channel
directly (so hop1 pays a+b one way, and b the other way; hop2 pays
a-f+c one way, c the other way; etc), a as the transaction amount,
f as b's fee, b and c arbitrary channel parameters for a/b and b/c
channels respectively.

You only have to lock up a little more than the dust amount, so call that
1c per HTLC, assume a locktime of 20 days, and a time cost of bitcoin
of 20% pa, then that's an extra cost of 0.01 of a cent per transaction.
If you're aiming for a 1% per-hop fee, you can still handle transactions
worth about a cent with that approach. If you've got a time cost of
bitcoin at about 5% pa and a lock time of 10 days, you can do a 2c
transaction with a per-hop fee of about 0.1%.

> We might want to have some special protocol for these
> payments?

I don't think that helps?

> By the way, as far as I know the dust value got increased to 5430? So
> even more of a problem for us now... (wow, that's already 2ct, don't
> think we can just disallow these, given that we promised the holy
> grail of micro payments ;) )

I don't think so? minrelayfee got increased to .05 mBTC, but that's for
1000 bytes while the dust threshold is for 546 bytes, so that's 2730
satoshi (a little under 1c at $351 USD/BTC).

According to Visa, anything less than $20 is a micropayment though, so
there's still plenty of leeway ;)

http://www.techworld.com.au/article/351015/visa_payclick_takes_paypal_micropayments/

> I also don't think just adding these to the change amount is
> sustainable. That's a thing I realized some time ago, as soon as there
> is some loop hole somewhere, there will be one guy who will move
> heaven and earth to make a profit off of it.

Yeah, and with onion routing and so on, I could be that guy!!

If you anonymously setup two channels with another node, and route a whole
bunch of dust payments to yourself, ie me1 -> them -> me2, then:

 - if the HTLCs are in both txns, you can't do anything

 - if the second channel's commitment unconditionally pays you for a
   bunch of transactions, close the channel, and never reveal any of
   the secrets.  you eventually get all your money back in me1, and made
   a profit in me2.

 - if the first channel's commitment doesn't debit you for a bunch
   of transactions, reveal the corresponding secrets in the second
   channel, updating its commitment, but refuse to follow protocol to
   update the transactions in the first channel, closing it, but keeping
   your money.

 - if txns in the second channel are credited to fees, but have HTLCs
   in the first channel; close the second channel, and the txns timeout,
   refunding your money, but costing the other node the sum of those
   HTLCs.

Yay, more problems!

Maybe you could tweak the dual HTLC approach to make attacks unattractive:

  42 satoshi from A -> B

  10042 satoshi for (B && R || A && 20days CLTV)
  10000 satoshi for (A && R && 15 days CLTV || B && 20days CLTV)

If it resolves on channel, fine; but if it hits the blockchain, A has to
wait 15 days even if R gets revealed to get her 3.5c back.

Not actually sure if that does any real good though...

Cheers,
aj