[Lightning-dev] Onion routing design.

Anthony Towns aj at erisian.com.au
Tue Sep 22 05:25:44 UTC 2015

On Mon, Sep 21, 2015 at 06:18:37AM +0930, Rusty Russell wrote:
> > For a general solution, I think you could completely rule out probing
> > by having two R values, one known only by the recipient, and one by
> > the sender (call it S say). Then make the htlcs payable on
> > presentation of both R and S and include S encrypted to the final
> > recipient in the onion payload. Munging the payload then makes the
> > htlc irredeemable so misrouting it gives no information.
> That's clever.  And I think it works.

You could combine these two approaches actually. If X is the plaintext
routing message the payee gets ("here's $15 grbg grbg ..."), and H is
its hash that was prefixed to the plaintext, then set S=sha256(H+X),
and require revealing S as well as R for payment redemption (ie, include
"OP_SHA256 sha256(S) OP_EQ" in the HTLC).

That way *any* attempt to garble the padding makes S unrecoverable
and renders the payment unredeemable, without relying on any
verification/cooperation from anyone else on the network.

Cheers,
aj