[Lightning-dev] Ionization Protocol: Flood Routing

Anthony Towns aj at erisian.com.au
Fri Sep 25 05:08:36 UTC 2015

On Fri, Sep 25, 2015 at 09:56:02AM +0930, Rusty Russell wrote:
> [ Pieter Wuille Cc'd for pubkey recovery, search for "recovered" ]
> Mats Jerratsch <matsjj at gmail.com> writes:
> >> Indeed.  Random selection helps, here, but analysis will be interesting.
> > How have you ended up with a number of beacons you need? 12 seems so
> > low, I can’t imagine so few nodes to support all transacting for even
> > 10 minutes..
> As we keep the last 100 sets of beacons, the load is spread a little.

Does that actually work? Old beacons don't do any good if the payee
doesn't use them when advertising a route; but old beacons also don't
get their fee updates propogated, and aren't known by people who only
just joined the network. I don't think you could usefully keep more than
the last 2 or 3 sets of beacons?

> To start, I was thinking you establish channels with 5 random nodes.

I think Barabasi-Albert graphs are probably pretty reasonable here --
you start by establishing channels to N nodes, selected randomly but
favouring nodes in proportion to how connected they already are.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barab%C3%A1si%E2%80%93Albert_model

Cheers,
aj