[Lightning-dev] Acknowledgements in BOLT #2

Joseph Poon joseph at lightning.network
Fri Apr 1 19:38:50 UTC 2016

On Fri, Apr 01, 2016 at 03:32:15PM +0200, Pierre wrote:
> Also @lnd guys: what's the thing with odd/even htlc ids? Is it just so
> that we can use the same keyspace for incoming/outgoing htlcs and
> quickly tell the direction of a given htlc, or is there something
> else?

Hi Pierre,

I've actually been going back and forth on HTLC IDs lately, and am
actually currently working on a cleaner solution -- I think you might
like it (provided it works out). The thinking was so that one is able to
uniquely identify HTLCs at a later time by having unique ID upon
creation (direction should be contextually understood by the
positive/negative amount). The ID doesn't really need to be in the final
wire protocol, it's more helpful for debugging than anything.

--
Joseph Poon