[Lightning-dev] Routing & Beacons

Rusty Russell rusty at rustcorp.com.au
Wed Apr 13 00:40:54 UTC 2016

laurentmt <laurentmt145 at gmail.com> writes:
> Hi there,
>
> Just a LN noob here. I'm intrigued by the idea of routing based on
> beacons. Is it somewhat similar to the Pulse Protocol
> (http://www.cs.jhu.edu/~dholmer/600.647/papers/pulse_infrastructure_access.pdf)
> with a periodic computation of spanning trees rooted at beacons nodes ?

Hi Laurent!

        There are several ways to do routing via a known set of
landmarks.  Since each node is interested in the cheapest route to and
from each beacon, that's pretty easy to propagate (simply always
broadcast the best route you know about).

        Of course, if rates are expressed as "base + per-satoshi-amount"
then "cheapest" depends on the amount, so some heuristics will be
required.

Cheers,
Rusty.