[Lightning-dev] We don't need R-Value, how OP_CODESEPARATOR saves the day

Rusty Russell rusty at rustcorp.com.au
Mon Mar 7 23:38:42 UTC 2016

Nicolas Dorier <nicolas.dorier at gmail.com> writes:
> I'm amazed as I found a useful case for OP_CODESEPARATOR.

Me too!  This is an awesome hack.

There is an important caveats: You must make sure you never ever create
a commit tx which is identical a previous one.

There's also a requirement that you store all previous signatures,
avoided by both the original draft scheme (using BIP32 and handing over
old private keys) and the deployable lightning chain-of-hashes.

Since these scripts will hardly ever hit the chain, I think this a
premature optimization.  But maybe I'm still a bit stunned by this use
of OP_CODESEPARATOR :)

Great work!
Rusty.