[Lightning-dev] Simplifying revocation through a new opcode for general signature verification?

Martijn Meijering martijn.meijering at mevs.nl
Tue Mar 8 19:21:24 UTC 2016

Now that we almost have SegWit and its soft fork mechanism for upgrading
the scripting system, wouldn't it be a good idea to introduce a new opcode
for signature verification for arbitrary but appropriately
length-restricted messages? Instead of maintaining mirror images of txs and
going through the dance of revealing hash preimages, wouldn't it be easier
to to sign a message that revokes a previous balance (with hash + sequence
number)? Am I overlooking anything? This looks like a simple new opcode
that could substantially simplify the LN protocol.