[Lightning-dev] Payment and Refund Stuck

Anthony Towns aj at erisian.com.au
Wed Mar 16 09:27:44 UTC 2016

Hello lightning implementors!

(Posted to lightning-dev as well, hopefully that's fine with everyone)

Matsjj set up a repo a while ago for collaborating on documenting the
lightning protocol and gave a bunch of us admin access:

 - https://github.com/lightning-core/lightning

 """I think it is a very good idea to carry all the different
    implementations to one spot. I think such a repository is best suited
    for it."""

 - https://github.com/lightning-core/lightning/pull/4#issuecomment-151778273

I think the layout is a bit too nested (which makes sense coming from
the Java implementor, I guess? :) and I think it'd be good to have a
simple way to decide how to move ideas into/through the repo, without
making it a place where there's any point trying to politicise proposals.
(It's kind of telling that something's wrong when even matsjj hasn't
been able to get his pull requests accepted :)

Anyway I've taken Rusty's couple of BOLT proposals as well as the shachain
design txt and rearranged them in a way I think makes sense:

 - https://github.com/ajtowns/lightning-core/tree/rusty

What do you guys think?

I hear there's totally going to be released code out by
northern-hemisphere summer, so documenting the protocols/standards is
only going to get more pressing...

My inclination is to add:

 - matsjj's pull requests [0]
 - the anonymous "R", via private key reveal stuff [1]
 - Joseph's 2-of-3 Instant Escrow [2]

as additional "early drafts". Probably things from Rusty's "Deployable
Lightning" paper (like the HTLC scripts), or the "elkrem" scheme, or
Nicholas Dorier's "backward deterministic [revocation] Value" stuff
would be good too...

Cheers,
aj

[0] thunsync: https://github.com/lightning-core/lightning/pull/2/files