[Lightning-dev] Atomic payment to multiple parties, and payment amount obfuscation

CJP cjp at ultimatestunts.nl
Fri Sep 23 06:15:42 UTC 2016

Hi,

I just woke up with a new thought:

With source routing and explicit fee payment, you can actually
atomically pay multiple parties, by letting all but one of the
recipients be intermediate parties in the route, and just paying them a
very high transaction fee. With "atomically" I mean it is impossible
that payment to one of the recipients succeeds and payment to another
fails.

Payment amount can be obfuscated by letting yourself (the sender) be the
final recipient, so none of the intermediate nodes sees the actual
amount being transferred.

It isn't rocket science (or advanced cryptography), but I hadn't
realized this before.

- CJP