[Lightning-dev] Comments on BOLT#11

Rusty Russell rusty at rustcorp.com.au
Fri Dec 15 06:12:19 UTC 2017

Jonathan Underwood <junderwood at bitcoinbank.co.jp> writes:
> Additional comment: we should make a requirement to hide text in the
> description under certain conditions.
>
> ie. "A reader MUST hide information surrounded by curly brackets {}
> including
> the brackets themselves from the UI, and only make the information avaiable
> internally."
>
> I think a lot of people will want to include extra data in their payment
> requests' description.
>
> I think HTLC.ME uses it and maybe bitrefill? (correct me if I'm wrong.)

OK, HTLC.ME (cool site!) uses a description of:

        {"generic_id":"ada00363-50b6-4281-82dd-d274393439f1"}

Which I really don't understand.  This field is literally only to
display to the user, for them to validate it's what they wanted.  The
recipient never gets it back.

If I knew who ran HTLC.ME, I'd ask them to fix it: they should have a
description entry field in their "Request Payment" form.  It could
default to "Test payment ada00363-50b6-4281-82dd-d274393439f1", but
they're in spec violation at the moment.

> Perhaps adding an "extra data" tag?

Easy to do, if I knew why they wanted it.

Thanks!
Rusty.