[Lightning-dev] Comments on BOLT#11

Rusty Russell rusty at rustcorp.com.au
Sat Dec 16 18:51:03 UTC 2017

Jonathan Underwood <junderwood at bitcoinbank.co.jp> writes:
> iirc they are using the description as a way to join the user data and the
> payment hash on their end.

But the description isn't used when I send a payment.  All they get is
the payment_hash.

> htlc me is one node but separates its balance into user accounts that exist
> outside lightning. I think the identifier is used so when their backend
> checks the payment request status, the user info is right there in their
> local lnd RPC response rather than having to store their own database
> separately.

Ah, that's understandable, but it seems like a wrong API.

c-lightning doesn't store the description in the database at all: each
invoice uses a label which the invoice creator specifies.  Unlike a
description, this must be unique.  It's not exposed to customers at all.

Cheers,
Rusty.