[Lightning-dev] Is it possible to fund multiple channels using single transaction with multiple output?

Christian Decker decker.christian at gmail.com
Mon Dec 25 11:41:22 UTC 2017

Hi Ignatius,

welcome to the list :-)

> I'm a noob in bitcoin and lightning network, and several days ago I
> just knew a concept called transaction batching, which is to pay
> multiple payments with single transaction and single transaction fee,
> which is much cheaper then doing multiple payments with multiple
> transactions and multiple transaction fee. Now, is it possible to use
> this thing to create multiple lightning channels with single
> transaction, reducing transaction fee?

Absolutely, the protocol always refers to a channel by its short channel
ID (blockheight, transaction pos, output pos). So a single transaction
can fund multiple channels. I should however mention that this is
currently not implemented in any of the wallets, but it shouldn't be too
much of a problem to do so. The main problem is that in order to use
this you need to coordinate the fund-channel process for all channels in
parallel, so initially it's probably only going to be used to fund
channels from a single initiator.

Cheers,
Christian