[Lightning-dev] [RFC] Lightning payment format

Rusty Russell rusty at rustcorp.com.au
Wed May 10 01:52:26 UTC 2017

Christian Decker <decker.christian at gmail.com> writes:
> On Tue, May 09, 2017 at 11:07:28AM +0930, Rusty Russell wrote:
>> Hey, invoices are totally human readable, for some humans :)
>>
> I know Pieter can decode bech32 on the fly :-)

Well, Pieter can pronounce them too apparently:

        http://pieterwuillefacts.com/?43

>> But a good point.  So let's use BTC with m (milli), u (micro), n (nano)
>> and p (pico).  In theory we could allow . in that part, but I think it's
>> too distracting.
>>
>> At $1600/BTC:
>>
>>         0.01c = 62500p
>>         1c = 6250n
>>         $1 = 625u
>>         $1000 = 625m
>
> Perfect, even though your price is already outdated, and it currently
> is $1700/BTC. I mention the conversion confusion because I often run
> into that problem myself (and keep typing 0s until the client
> complains).

I considered using the m/u/n modifier as the decimal point, eg:

         0.0001c = 0n62
         0.01c = 62n5
         1c = 6u25
         $1 = 625u
         $1000 = 625m

Unfortunately, it's horrible to write the code to encode/decode (I just
spend an hour on it and I'm not happy with the result).

>> OK, if people like this change, I think we can move start turning this
>> into BOLT 10?
>
> Oops, I think I did what Luke hates, and sort of self assigned a
> proposal number... I can of course assign the DNS bootstrap BOLT
> another number.

Huh?  I just did exactly the same thing!  So I'll take BOLT 11.

Cheers,
Rusty.