[Lightning-dev] Generalizing proportional routing fees to exchange rates

ZmnSCPxj ZmnSCPxj at protonmail.com
Tue May 23 22:41:33 UTC 2017

Good morning Rusty,

Thank you for your many explanations, I appreciate it.

>> I would like to propose a modification to lightning protocol,
>> regarding the use of proportional routing fees.
>
>There needs to be more information across networks than just the
>exchange rate. For example, you need to know the block numbers for CLTV
>timeouts on both sides, and you need to know the topology of the
>network on both sides. Those are problems we can push to the edges
>of the network, and nobody else should notice.

Do you mean, there will be some special LN variant or service specifically for cross-chain operation (i.e. "edge of the network")?

>Moreover, there are two general problems with random currencies on
>lightning. Firstly, it's not clear why you'd want them once bitcoin has
>lightning: why use a highway to nowhere (unless you have invested money
>in nowhere, of course).

I suppose that would be a good reason to want altcoin on LN....

>Secondly, we've made several assumptions that
>it's not free to create channels, which punts many DoS problems to the
>underlying blockchain. If you can create free channels, this protection
>vanishes.

By "free", do you refer to the fact, that most altcoins have low or practically 0 transaction fees?

>Finally, we're trying to close down spec changes, so we're reluctant to
>add features to 1.0 if we can avoid it.

I understand.

Regards,
ZmnSCPxj