[Lightning-dev] General question on routing difficulties

Benjamin Mord ben at mord.io
Thu Nov 16 16:01:18 UTC 2017

Ivan,

That is mostly false, but with bits of truth sprinkled in. Contact me at
ben at mord.io for further discussion so we tread lightly on the lists' email
inboxes. But briefly: scale-capable routing protocols are possible as
demonstrated by IP and thus by the internet itself. As for centralizing
flow through small number of liquidity providers, yes that does seem
economically probable, at least unless / until off-chain channel
rebalancing mechanism (like the recently proposed "revive" protocol) come
about. Bitcoin script is not currently revive-capable but Ethereum is, so
either Bitcoin revive could be enabled via two-way pegged sidechain
protocol with Ethereum, or even better, by a purpose-built (yet still not
Turing-complete) extension to Bitcoin script itself in the future. In
either case the lightning network seems a key first step, and even were
off-chain payment rebalancing not possible for some odd reason, the
lightning network seems extremely valuable and scaleable - regardless
because the centralization you speak is not one that affects safety of the
money supply itself, and these centralized hubs would be more dispensable /
swappable versus the mining centralization risk that people more often talk
about in Bitcoin. Lightning network centralization, even if it persisted
somehow despite revive and future concepts, would not be an existential
risk. As for transaction fees, the idea is only channel setup / tear down
are required greatly reducing fees. Yes if txin fees were millions of
dollars then people could not practically penalize fraud, but that is
unlikely. Even if txin fees made fraud claims marginally unprofitable (yet
practical) that would still be ok - the judicial systems of most countries
prove that people go beyond self-interest when sufficiently ticked, a fact
of human psychology which in turn creates the incentives that support
honest business. (Also please be aware I'm not a lightning code
contributor, so that team might also be doing more to address already than
I thought to mention above.)

I'll post more about this on http://ben.mord.io

Thanks,
Ben