[Lightning-dev] Bi-directional or uni-directional?

Alan Carbery alancarb at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 21 09:07:05 UTC 2017

Thanks for the response Rusty.

I think what's confusing me is that the tutorials all show an example where
Alice and Bob each put 5BTC into the funding transaction.  However, in the
spec open_channel has the funding_satoshis attribute for this purpose while
accept_channel does not.  Does this mean that each channel is funded by one
party only but they can make payments in both directions (assuming that some
initial payments are made by the party funding the channel)?  Any idea about
the rationale for one-sided channel funding?

Regards,
Alan