[Lightning-dev] QR of node information

Corné Plooy corne at bitonic.nl
Mon Apr 9 09:47:51 UTC 2018

Why put everything in bech32? It hurts readability. The only possible
advantage is that data inside the bech32 blob can be digitally signed in
a convenient way. If you don't need that, I'd keep your data ourside the
bech32 blob, in a (expert-)human-readable format.

Why not follow a regular URL format when host and port are involved? I
don't see the advantage of lightning:ln1bech32nodeid/ipnumber/port over
node at ip:port. In practice, I see both C-Lightning and LND also using
node at ip:port, BTW.

Is this really only about reducing the size of QR codes? How many
percent reduction do you think you can accomplish with your approach? I
think, when it comes to reducing QR code size, it makes more sense to
think of a better way to encode the node ID. Hexadecimal isn't exactly
the most space-efficient encoding.

CJP