[Lightning-dev] Proposal for Advertising Lightning nodes via DNS records.

Tyler H tyzbit at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 18:34:18 UTC 2018

Christian, ZmnSCPxj et al,

Your concerns have been taken seriously, and while this might provide some
useful features with regard to opening appropriate channels (and I guess
can be implemented outside of spec, if an implementation so wishes), after
consideration and some very useful feedback from Olaoluwa Osuntokun on the
LND slack, I've decided to pull my support for implementing this specific
proposal as part of this spec.

To summarize the primary issue with this proposed BOLT:
DNS in its current form cannot be trusted as part of the Lightning spec,
plain and simple.

While I've rescinded my support, I don't discourage thoughtful
implementation of functionality like this, but I do caution any
implementation to properly inform the user as to the inherent risk in
trusting DNS, and only use DNS records as a way to increase confidence, not
make guarantees, that a node is associated to the domain it says it is.

I will continue to approach the problem of securely advertising
human-understandable node names, and I hope someday soon I will have a
solution Lightning can use that retains the open, decentralized properties
of the technology and the underlying blockchains.

I leave this proposal in Robert's hands to further defend if he wishes, and
I would discourage future proposals largely similar to this but on other
authenticated technologies (for example, advertising node information via
forum posts).  Any information that doesn't come from the network itself
cannot be backed by cryptographic guarantees.

Other discussions regarding public vs private nodes and channel structures
are encouraged.

Best regards,
Tyler