[Lightning-dev] Commitment delay asymmetry

Rusty Russell rusty at rustcorp.com.au
Fri Apr 13 00:02:40 UTC 2018

Jim Posen <jim.posen at gmail.com> writes:
> I find it easier to analyze the game theory of these situations if the
> to_remote output is also time-locked by the to_remote_delay. Making the
> consequence of an on-chain settlement symmetric changes the game from
> chicken [1] to a tragedy of the commons [2]. I'm curious how other people
> think about this.

It does increase incentive to mutual close, and it makes some kinds of
sense: A tells B what the delay is, so having A subject to it too is
fair.

By extension, perhaps both sides should use the maximum delay either one
asks for?

I don't think it's urgent, but please put it into the brainstorming part
of the wiki so we don't lose track?[1]

Cheers,
Rusty.
[1] Which someone should organize into a new "proposals" page..