[Lightning-dev] Proposal for Advertising Lightning nodes via DNS records.

Corné Plooy corne at bitonic.nl
Mon Apr 16 10:19:38 UTC 2018

Op 10-04-18 om 20:34 schreef Tyler H:

> I will continue to approach the problem of securely advertising
> human-understandable node names, and I hope someday soon I will have a
> solution Lightning can use that retains the open, decentralized
> properties of the technology and the underlying blockchains.

Two of my favorite approaches:
* Namecoin-style: Register your name first-come-first-serve on a block
chain.
  -> Provides no protection against name squatting and attackers
registering similarly-looking names.
* Web of Trust: I tell you I believe this pubkey really corresponds to
this name; someone else might tell you something else. DNS is
essentially a special case of this, where the WoT has a centralized star
shape. TLS is another case, where there is dozens of signing parties
(CAs), and everyone typically gets their keys signed by only one of
them, so anyone verifying keys has to trust all these CAs. More
generally, a WoT can have any shape though.
  -> Provides little to no protection against trusted parties lying to you.

CJP