[Lightning-dev] Towards a gridlike Lightning Network

Benjamin Mord ben at mord.family
Thu Apr 19 18:21:01 UTC 2018

Hello ZmnSCPxj,

I think there are two distinct concepts here. The first is the
identification of a 'neighborhood', and the second is the establishment of
an order within that neighborhood for purpose of cycle formation.

Your use of bloom filters to define a neighborhood, is I think the most
valuable contribution. Formation of neighborhoods with high connectivity,
with sparse but redundant connections among these neighborhoods, does seem
like an economically efficient approach to maintaining useful competition
and redundancy. If there are any graph theorists or category theorists on
the list, perhaps they could offer some formal validation or optimization.
For this, I prefer your March 23 proposal over March 24, I'm curious what
improvement is intended in March 24 vs 23?

The emergent definition and maintenance of a unique ordering for cycle
establishment within a neighborhood is, I think, a much more ambitious
undertaking. I'm not sure how we efficiently make that robust in a dynamic
context, except perhaps with interactive coordination among the members
operating off something other than just static global data. Otherwise
different members would have different ideas about cycle order, depending
on when they first joined. I also don't see how cycles recover when someone
leaves.

As people come and go, cycles will break. As the lightning network grows
overall, neighborhoods identified by one setting of the bloom filter will
become undesirably large. Perhaps a less ambitious but more robust
heuristic would be one where probability of establishing a channel is
proportional to the number of bits in common in the pubkey hash, normalized
by the number of nodes currently observed? This heuristic would
automatically adjust granularity over time as lightning membership grows
and shrinks. Nodes could periodically reevaluate their channel allocations
as the overall network grows or shrinks.

Were it not for the privacy goals, dynamic optimization based on actual
usage would be possible. Nodes could track the routes of payments that flow
through their channels and could spot fees that seem both large and
popular, and could use this information to identify under-served nodes to
which a direct channel might be in order. If we allowed nodes to see two
hops of the route instead of just the one, then such optimization would
become possible, although this compromise would require longer minimum
routes for a given level of privacy.

Thanks,
Ben