[Lightning-dev] Lightning JavaScript implementation that conforms BOLT

Быхун, Алексей Викторович aleksey.bykhun at phystech.edu
Thu Apr 12 14:39:00 UTC 2018

Hi everyone!

I am looking for a way to run a LN node inside the browser. One way would
be to implement BOLT protocol from scratch in JS, but I am thinking of a
more easy way.

Has anyone succeed in compiling, for example, c-lightning project (
https://github.com/ElementsProject/lightning) under WebAssembly (
http://webassembly.org/getting-started/developers-guide/).

WebAssembly is a C/C++ compiler into browser-compatible byte-code. It can
use JS-API, but can also work with low-level C functions.

There are some things c-lighting does (e.g. sockets), that should stop it
from compiling easily. However, there are wrappers for many C-functions by
Emscripten lib: https://github.com/kripken/emscripten.

My question is what should I look for when trying to run that? And also, I
want to hear your general feedback on the idea.

Aleksey Bykhun.