[Lightning-dev] Fulgurite: ideas for making a more flexible Lightning Network protocol

ZmnSCPxj ZmnSCPxj at protonmail.com
Thu Dec 6 00:41:05 UTC 2018

Hi Trey,

This document is a description of how I view individual channels on Lightning currently.
The document is valuable as it provide a viewpoint of how Lightning works at each channel.

Burchert-Decker-Wattenhofer channel factories are essentially multiparty (> 2 participants) "channels" ("offchain updateable cryptocurrency systems") with multiple "child" 2-party channels.
In general though having multiple channels between the same 2 participants is not as valuable (which is why Burchert-Decker-Wattenhofer only has two levels in the hierarchy, and why the parent level is multiparty while the child level is 2-party).

Punishment mechanisms are simply part of the update protocol (they are a witness that older states have been superseded).
We can abstract away the update protocol (Decker-Wattenhofer, Poon-Dryja, Decker-Russell-Osuntokun) from the description in the document.

Of note is that the existing update protocols can carry almost any Bitcoin-enforceable contract, including the same contracts used to enforce them.
This is what allows update protocols to "nest" as in Burchert-Decker-Wattenhofer (or your concept of "parent" and "child" channels).
There are some important details like the fact that Decker-Wattenhofer and Decker-Russell-Osuntokun impose an extra CSV on their transported contracts, and most contracts cannot be transported across systems (HTLCs can but with longer timelocks for each step).

Regards,
ZmnSCPxj

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.