[Lightning-dev] Fulgurite: ideas for making a more flexible Lightning Network protocol

Trey Del Bonis j.delbonis.3 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 03:01:16 UTC 2018

Hi,

> > We might have to loosen the restrictions a bit how that information is validated of course.

> For the case of Burchert-Decker-Wattenhofer channel factories, a single channel announcement will be done for all channels within the factory, signed off by all of the participants in the channel factory, and we presume that the factory participants have validated that the money owned by who is actually owned by that who.  However, each channel within the factory would then need channel updates only signed off by the two direct participants in the channel.  When channels within the factory are reorganized, a new announcement will need to be done and signed off on by participants in the factory who performed the reorg.

I was more talking about situations where we *aren't* doing
Burchert-Decker-Wattenhofer and want (unannounced) subchannels.
Another idea is to have peers lie in the channel announcement which
particular channel has the funds moving when routing a payment.  So
you say "this channel has x msat capacity" and when other peers
request to route payments through it, the parties already have agreed
to send it through the unannounced subchannel.  Or just leave the
ability to route through unanounced secret subchannels to situations
where you've been given an invoice with a partial path already
provided and the sender just "assumes" that the payment will work.

It should be trivial to compose Fulgurite in
Burchert-Decker-Wattenhofer exactly as-is, and you'd still get all the
nice scalability benefits.

> Suppose we have a contract with a timelock at time N.
> And this contract is put inside an update mechanism with CSV requirement of time M.
> The contract must be cancelled by the participants at time N - M.
> However, if not cancelled, the contract will be dropped onchain, and its true expiry will still be at time N.
> In short, the contract changes between offchain (expires at time N - M) and onchain (expires at time N).

To do that generally would be to have partitions give an optional
"must be gone by" deadline where we should either get rid of the
partition by then (somehow, we don't actually care) or force the
channel on-chain if we're not using a "timeless" update mechanism like
Poon-Dryja.  Operations like ExpireHtlc should calculate an earlier
deadline at which they'd become accepted, and be the thing to actually
remove the in-channel HTLC "the right way".

Complementary to that, I have the update mechanism update a "validity
deadline" as a side effect after a state has been re-signed, which
helps us to know when to do periodic re-signings.

- Trey Del Bonis