[Lightning-dev] An Argument For Single-Asset Lightning Network

Alexander Leishman leishman3 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 28 01:01:57 UTC 2018

Hello ZmnSCPxj,

> Do you mean, that if you make a swap on Lightning, which *might* be a
Bitcoin-to-WJT American Call Option, I will refuse to forward until I also
get something that is a WJT-to-Bitcoin call option, similar to a butterfly
spread?
> That implies that in the "normal", non-American-call-option case, the
payer has the target asset, which brings up the question: why would the
payer even go through the cross-asset broker in a Lightning route if the
payer already has the target asset?

No this isn't what I'm suggesting. Let me try to explain again. Apologies
if this isn't clear:

Let's assume only two parties are engaging in this interaction, you and me.
You offer me the WJT/BTC exchange rate from your mult-chain node and I
route an LN payment from my BTC node to my WJT node through your
multi-chain node. My understanding is that the main problem with this is
the free optionality I get when my WJT node does not return the hash
preimage immediately to you and instead waits to see if the market price
fluctuates out of my favor until option/HTLC expiry. But what if we could
atomically swap this preimage for the final HTLC you sent me? If this
magical atomic information swap could happen (I don't get the final HTLC
unless I reveal the preimage) the payment would settle immediately (in the
two party case, let's assume no other intermediary nodes). A timed
commitment approach could potentially be feasible if the time required to
brute force the commitment is longer than the life of the "option"/HTLC.
I'm not necessarily suggesting this the optimal solution, but I haven't
seen the idea mentioned before.

-Alex