[Lightning-dev] An Argument For Single-Asset Lightning Network

ZmnSCPxj ZmnSCPxj at protonmail.com
Fri Dec 28 03:34:13 UTC 2018

Good morning Tamas,

> Although there is no escape from above reasoning, a market maker could still be profitable as long as the option is worth less than the bid-ask spread.
> Therefore the issue does not mean that LN cross asset exchange is not feasible, but that there is lower bound on bid-ask spread, that of the option premium.

The option premium cannot be charged in the not-exercised branch.
This is effectively a premium-free option.
This means that rational entities who know of this technique will create options "for free" until the exchange runs out of liquidity.
This is because, even if the exchange rate does not go beyond the bid-ask spread, the not-exercised branch is free of charge.

Since all their liquidity is tied up in premium-free American Call Options, exchange nodes cannot usefully bridge between a BTC Lightning Network and any other asset.
Routing attempts will usually fail.
In a very practical sense, it would not be possible to create a multi-asset LN.

--

I had long ago figured out that HTLCs can create American Call Options (more than a year ago).
The problem was that they tied up the assets involved into the contract, so I never bothered to publish this insight.

What I suspect will happen is that the LN on the weaker asset (i.e. less popular, fewer users, etc.) will find itself unable to be paid by the LN on the stronger asset.
This will weaken the weaker asset even further (users will leave it for the stronger asset).
This creates a shift in exchange rate, which is precisely what the American Call Options are waiting for.
These American Call Options drain funds from the exchange, until the exchange stops being profitable and stops operating as an exchange, again further weakening the weaker asset as it is now even harder to pay from the stronger asset network to the weaker asset network, and so on.

Regards,
ZmnSCPxj