[Lightning-dev] visual identification of payee node id

William Casarin jb55 at jb55.com
Sat Dec 29 16:16:05 UTC 2018

Pavol Rusnak via Lightning-dev <lightning-dev at lists.linuxfoundation.org>
writes:

> Hi all!
>
> Currently, when I perform a payment via QR code, I usually check the
> payee node id (public key) in the send dialog. However, this is a rather
> long hex value, so for example Eclair app shows just the beginning and
> the end of the value.
>
> Idea: Can we show an identicon (for example https://jdenticon.com/) of
> payee node id (= public key) next to the QR code, so user can visually
> quickly check whether the recipient is correct?

I think it would be interesting if someone came up with a visual hashing
algorithm, where small changes in the inputs had uniformly random visual
outputs. I was testing jdenticon with my node id:

  03f3c108ccd536b8526841f0a5c58212bb9e6584a1eb493080e7c1cc34f82dad71

I was surprised to see that small changes to the first digit didn't
change the visual output at all. Whether or not this is a useful
property in this use case, it's something to keep in mind.

Cheers,
Will

--
https://jb55.com