[Lightning-dev] channel rebalancing support kind of exists already?

Robert Olsson robban at robtex.com
Tue Feb 6 19:16:02 UTC 2018

Hi Aleksej,

Yes i was talking about rebalancing without blockchains. and that there is
a need for rebalancing, since things routed thru you can also affect
balances an a surprising fashion.
A function to avoid routing too much thru your channels would be nice too.

Consider a scenario where your employer opens a channel to you, and send
your salary.
You can then go shopping and use the channel via you employer, but after a
while you want some more capacity, or less fees, or redundancy in case your
employers node is offline.
So you open a new one directly to walmart with a tx because you plan to go
there after work, and go there often.

Now it turns out your employer also buys stuff from walmart, so they pay
them via your channel to walmart and uses up most of it.
So when you go to walmart to shop, you notice your brand new channel with
them is already used up so you will have to route it back thru your
employer, however they are of course currently doing maintenance on their
node. Your redundancy is gone. And if they were up, your fee saving idea
with a direct walmart channel would have been gone.

So, I think a function to "refuse routing over this channel if it would
result in less than X% of capacity" and "automatically balance this channel
to have at least X% of capacity" would be very useful features, and i think
they don't have to be extremely hard to implement over current protocol.

Best regards
Robert Olsson